How to clean your stone floor
The most frequent question we get asked is how to maintain your Flagstone floor.
The simple answer is that it is relatively low maintenance, that is the beauty of our flagstone tiles. All you need to do is ensure you use the right products. We always recommend using the cleaner supplied by the sealant company. This has gone through the rigours of their own research and development to make sure it cleans the floor effectively, and also looks after it.
- Stay away from tile and stone cleaners that contain bleach as it strips the sealant away, which discounts most supermarket cleaners as they normally container bleach. Using the right cleaners will avoid the need to reseal your floor more than is necessary. If you ever have any doubts about what to use, give us a call, our experts are always on hand to help you out with questions.
- If you have a stain on your floor from hot oil, use a specialist stain remover specifically designed to tackle stains on stone floors as they will draw out the stain.
- If you have an organic stain such as orange juice, wine or coffee, use the stain remover within 72 hours and wipe it away.
- We recommend using a squeegee mop when cleaning so that you are lifting the dirt rather than sloshing it about.
- Stick to the motto ‘Sweep, Vacuum, Wash occasionally’ as washing it too often will slowly take the sealant off.
- If you find your floor's lustrous look has disappeared a few years down the line, you can re-invigorate the floor. Add one part wax to 10 parts lukewarm water and apply over the floor. This will re-instill a soft sheen without the need to completely rewax the floor.
- If after 5-10 years you want to bring the stone back to what it was when you first bought it you can use a deep cleaner. It will strip off dead wax and once you have given the floor a good scrub you can reseal it. It will look just like new.
Hopefully these tips help! It is simple to look after your floor to ensure that it has a lifetime of enjoyment. If you have any questions give us a call and we can talk you through it.